Here’s an sausage soup recipe that’s perfect for cold winter weather as well as a busy lifestyle. After you put together the soup ingredients, you can slow-cook it for a few hours and then enjoy a delicious meal. This recipe calls for pinto beans, but you can substitute other types of beans that you have on hand. After you transfer the soup into serving bowls, you can garnish it with cheese, sour cream, sliced avocados and/or cilantro. Whether you live on a ranch or in the city, this slow-cooker soup is easy-to-make comfort food.
Rancher’s Slow-Cooker Soup
1 pound fresh sausage
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups water
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
1 bell pepper or 3 stalks of celery
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
To garnish: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocados, cilantro, etc.
1. In a large pan, cook sausage over medium heat; remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add onion to pan and sauté until it’s soft, 5 minutes or so.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute or so.
4. Transfer cooked meat and sautéed vegetables to crock pot. Add the water, chicken broth, beans, bell pepper or celery, Rotel tomatoes, salt and pepper. Slow-cook on high 8-10 hours.
5. Transfer the soup to serving bowls and garnish as desired.
TIP: Serve along with a green salad and cornbread, butter and honey.